Thursday, April 19, 2007

Did you know.....

That we are famous here? If only for a brief moment in time, Chickamauga, Georgia --the town that I live in---hosts part of the Tour De Georgia. If you don't know what that is, well it's o.k. You would probably have to be into professional road bike racing to know about it or the town's part in it though.
The Tour De Georgia---growing larger every year---is the "kick-off" to the European road bike racing season including the Tour De France and I will add this: For non-European road racing, Tour de Georgia is one of the "oldest" races at five years---supposedly a huge achievement.
Our town just happens to host the individual time trials for the event. Last year Lance Armstrong came to visit us here in our fair city. I know---you're impressed aren't you? Well, let me tell you even more impressive things: famous riders from around the world including Argentina, Denmark, Italy, Spain, and other parts of Europe and South America come here to do the time trials. Most of whom go on to compete in big name events in Europe including the Tour De France. Interesting huh? I told my son that is what he should do for a living---exercise, tour the world and have sponsors pay his way just so he can ride a bike for 25 miles or more each day. Well, maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be. And just in case you still are super impressed let me tell you this: If we leave our home in the morning before the race---we can't go back to our house AT ALL. No matter what. AND-- we can't leave our house with our car. Oh we can walk---but even if it's to go to a job they won't let the car out or back in. Luckily it only last for about 4 hours so it's not too bad and as I said: you can see and get autographs (not my thing) of famous road bike racers too. Also---since the time trials start at the school my son and all his school mates get to get out of school for the day and walk around in their free Tour De Georgia t shirts. Hah! now I KNOW I have impressed you :-D Maybe next year--I'll remember my camera since you can walk right up and talk with any of them. As a matter of fact since my road is a dead end AND a hill---they turn around in our drive way while warming up. To funny huh? To bad I don't really know who they are.

Here are some links if you would like to read about it:
tour de georgia
another here
and The new york times

No comments: