Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let there be RAIN! (finally)

Today---we have RAIN. rain rain rain rain. La la la. It sounds good to say that we are getting rain! Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book aye?
This time, unlike the few other times we have received it, our rain has been good rain----the kind that soaks into the ground and does wonderful things for the earth.
A few times it has come down fast too. During one instance my truck stalled as I drove through a large runoff section---it is an old truck but the "puddle" was a bit deeper than I thought at the time. Of course my son and I had to push it to the side of the road and got soaked for our trouble. However we have been so without rain for so long----that I DON"T mind getting my hair wet. Our pond even has water in it again. Not sure for how long---but it does have water. It has been bone dry for......5 months now for sure. It barely had any water previous to that---it just wasn't so hot that it could finish it off then.
I would love for it to stay around for a few more days. However---I won't fuss too much. This is the most rain we have seen in......months? almost a year maybe.
I have heard that Atlanta Georgia is getting missed. For that I am sad---however I am gleefully happy we are finally getting some that is soaking in.
Maybe I should run out and throw out some clover seed for winter/early spring grazing? Of course that is a guaranteed way to make it stop----and not come back for a while isn't it.

Hope everyone is getting the weather they need for their area---lately that seems to be a hit or miss proposition.

3 comments:

Tim Hodgens said...

Monica,

Yes, sweet rain!

Enjoy...and lap it up...

Tim

Woody said...

we had a little rain here ...not in as bad a shape as southeast though. many have been feeding quickly diminishing stores of hay for most of the summer. there has been quite an import of hay from oklahoma to this area for those who can afford to truck it in.

Dancingfarmer said...

Tim---Thanks! and guess what--we're STILL getting some! :-D (The smiling icon doesn't smile big enough for this situation!)

Woody---Hay is a worry. We think we have enough but...with so many many places dry we do worry a bit about it. We sold more animals than normal so we can hopefully make it through. This winter will be the deciding factor for a lot of people.

Monica