Sunday, November 12, 2006

Christmas cookies so soon?

Saturday night I decided I just had to have pfeffernussen cookies. They are one of my favorite since I love any type of ginger snap cookies and spice cakes. They also remind me a bit of egg nog which I also love and could drink by the gallons if it wasn't so fattening. These are also easy to make cookies and bake up quick and crisp not soft. Well just a bit soft in the center but not very much, and they are supremely better than any store bought cookie. I would have added a picture to show how attractive they are but they were quickly eaten by the family. By the way these are great cookies to add to a cookie plate for gifts. They balance out all the vanilla sugar cookies and chocolate things in Christmas "sampler" gift.

Here is the recipe that I enjoy--give it a try.

1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar (to shake cookies in)

Preheat oven to 350 and then mix dry ingredients into a medium size bowl:

2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (it is best with freshly ground)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking soda

Set aside. In a bowl (electric mixer is easiest but you can do it by hand) blend:

1/2 cup butter room temp.
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses

Blend until fluffy. Then add 1 large egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

With mixer on low add dry ingredients, beat until just combined.

Either use a small "ice cream" type scoop (one of my favorite cookie tools) or scoop out and roll dough into 1 1/4 inch approximately sized balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. I actually use the silpat liners which I think are great. They make clean up a snap and are reusable. If you didn't have either of these I think you could probably put them straight on the pan and they wouldn't stick. Arrange about 12 on a regular size cookie sheet. Bake until golden and firm to touch---they will be slightly cracked on the top. Let cool a bit then shake in a bag or container to coat with powdered sugar. I actually shake mine straight from the oven but I don't suppose it matters since it is personal taste. You can freeze this dough too if you want to make it ahead and bake and assemble your cookie plates the day of or before "gifting".

Oh yes, last thing---eat with milk. And don't feel guilty!

No comments: