Wednesday, December 6, 2006

What does the word "meme" mean?

Well Katie from Simple Katie has sent out a "meme" challenge today. Technically I have no idea what a meme is...but I understand the gist of it. She would like people to list 15 favorite books. Now in putting my list together I may actually forget some of my favorite books but here is a good sampling. (These are favorites---not necessarily what I have read recently)

1. The Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais (The Monkey's Raincoat is the first one) genre: murder/mystery
2. 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith---this is the original, no Disney retelling here.
3. The Contrary Farmer--Gene Logsdon---very funny author and good story. genre: organic agriculture
4. Harry Potter Series--J.K. Rowling. I don't care what others say.....I love this series.
5. The Giant Jam Sandwich --John Vernon Lord. This is a classically good little kids book.
6. The Painted House--John Grisham. This is actually the only one of his I really liked
7. The Hobbit--J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the rings series is O.K but this is the best one)
8. Redwall series --Brian Jacques (so many you can get tired of them and have to pause)
9 The Swiss Family Robinson--Johann Wyss
10. The New Organic Gardener --Elliot Coleman
11. Four-Season Harvest--Elliot Coleman
12.Timeline --Micheal Crichton (better than the movie)
13. Cheaper by the Dozen --Frank Gilbreth (much better than the movie)
14. The Green Mile--Stephen King (movie was close but book was better) Only Stephen King I ever made it through
15. Ben and Me--Robert Lawson
extra: Ralph the Mouse series --Beverly Cleary

Yes, some of these are kids books --but I like children's books. They are fun and not to serious. They are absolutely the best when read out loud at bed time for many nights or weeks in a row.

3 comments:

Kathie said...

Thanks for participating! I loved, loved, loved the Ralph the Mouse series by Beverly Cleary when I was kid and make sure to buy at least one of them for every kid in my life...

Cheryl said...

Great list! Many of them would be on my own list if I did one. I love Eliot Coleman, and love, love, love the Redwall books. My son and I are halfway through the Ralph series as we speak.
I'll be keeping an eye out for the ones I haven't read!

Dancingfarmer said...

Don't forget "Ben and Me" and the original 101 Dalmations. You will absolutely love them for your kids. My children were older by the time I read the original Cheaper by the Dozen so I don't have a child's perspective on that one for you---but I thought it was hilarious!